Subject: Re: Installation and mouse problems
To: Theo Markettos <bsd-list@marketto.demon.co.uk>
From: Chris Gilbert <cg110@york.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/30/1997 23:28:26
On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Theo Markettos wrote:

> I've almost successfully installed 1.3_Alpha on a Risc PC with Morley SCSI
> driven MaxIT disc.  Because I'm using the CD on the unsupported Indigo drive,
> I had to do an installation by setting up the drive partitions, copying over
> the sets with UnixFS, and then running inst.  When I first did this for Base,
> it complained (I think saying Base must be installed first).  I therefore did
> it manually, by doing 'tar -zxvf /usr/distrib/BASE.TAR' from /

I think the problem is that copying the files aross from the cd meant that
all the file names were put into caps, the cd drivers allow for this in
riscbsd, but the files have caps under riscos, also the files should be
named base.set and base.00 (unless it's changed on the 1.3 cd...)

> This then caused problems because inst reported that Base must be installed
> first when trying to install anything else.  The only workaround I could find
> was to set up an sh script containing a long list of tar commands, and leave
> it overnight.  This worked, and I've got a mostly working system.
>
> inst still refuses to acknowledge Base or any other set is installed.  Is
> there anything else that has to be done to convince it that the sets are
> really installed? I've tried copying the .SET files to /var/inst/installed,
> with no effect.

the .set files do get copied, but there's also some scripts that are
copied and executed by inst from some sets, eg the tcsh set has a script
that adds a line to /etc/shells.

> My second problem concerns running X.  Possibly because of the way I've
> installed the sets, rcm complains that it can't find the VIDC device.  I
> tried chmod 777ing all VIDC and mouse devices. If I startx anyway (from
> root), it complains something like (as I remember):
>
> /dev/mouse: No such file or directory
> Unable to open mouse device
> Winging it: using keyboard keypad mouse

My guess is that because the sets weren't installed by inst the relevant
files weren't made, as root try cd /dev then sh ./MAKEDEV all (I think
that's the command...)

> The X terminal comes up, and the xterms work, but the mouse refuses to budge.
> I've tried every possible combination of Ctrl, Alt and Shift with all the
> keys to the right of Return, with no success.

I think that the keypad emulates a mouse...

> I noticed that /dev/mouse is a symbolic link, so I've tried almost every
> possible combination of:
>
> /dev/MAKEDEV qms0
> /dev/MAKEDEV mouse-qms0
>
> The X server still refuses to recognise the mouse.  I've also tried using
> pms0 as well (does the Risc PC have a quadrature or PS2 mouse from BSD's
> point of view?).

under 1.2 it's called /dev/quadmouse0, don't know the relevant numbers to
link it to though.

Hope that helps,

Chris Gilbert				     |\      _,,,---,,_
	cg110@york.ac.uk		zzz. /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_.