Subject: Re: RiscBSD v1.3alfa - Questions and Problems.
To: Ib-Michael Martinsen <imm@nethotel.dk>
From: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/26/1997 22:50:21
Ib-Michael Martinsen wrote:

> I have always found v1.2B pretty stable except that when I downloaded
> news using leafnode/fetch via a ppp-connection I almost always got a
> kernel dump. After installing v1.3alfa I am getting kernel dumps much
> more frequently and in much wider contexts. I have read that a
> 'memory race condition' is suspected to cause this behaviour, so I have
> tried running RiscBSD with only 1 16MB DRAM SIMM installed, but this
> also gives dumps although not so often as when using 2 16MB DRAM SIMMs.
> I most often experience the errors when doing a lot of disk intensive
> work as backup/restore or 'ls -R'/'ls' commands.

A few people have reported this, with the panic occuring in the
ufs_ihashget function or thereabouts. Sounds like something more generic
to me, as nothing in this is arm32 relevant I don't think? Until Mark or
Scott comments, it may be worth just bunging something on it to
tech-kern?

> Does anybody know what is causing these errors?
> ----------

Nope, but it is an ALPHA release :-)

> any problems, but I would like to know why I cannot use popclient.
> ----------

Maybe it's a change in sendmail.cf? Just a wild guess...

> Where is the most suitable place to put the sources I want to compile?
> I am using /usr/src, but will that collide with kernel sources,
> if I later want to try to remake a kernel?

I normally put them in my home directory (normally in ~neil/work) and
then compile there; I then go to root to make install, and I find this
works quite well. All of the kernel sources go in /usr/src/sys/.

	Neil (with a fatter sig, apologies to the sig police!)

--
Neil A. Carson   Business development, Causality and Chalice Technology
Causality:       WWW: http://www.causality.com email: neil@causality.com