Subject: Re: Networks printing via pcnfsd...
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Wain <pwain@nc.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/20/1997 17:46:42
--=_NCMail_mqki7A

Dan,

Just looking at this quickly...

> /export -maproot=nobody -network 129.215.220 -mask 255.255.255.0

The problem here may be that the export is not set '-alldirs' since as I recall
pcnfs requires to be able to mount /export/ip_address directly as per "man 5
exports",  (and you need to create the directories in advance). ie:

> /export -maproot=nobody -network 129.215.220 -mask 255.255.255.0 -alldirs

However there was a bug in the NetBSD mountd program the last time I checked.
Basically you need to export a whole physical partition to use the -alldirs
command. However the fix for this (and I dont have a precompiled binary to
hand) is to get the source for mountd and roll your own. Just look for the line
that basically does the check for -alldirs not being on a whole physical
partition and remove the 2 line check/error message bit.

Security warning: Of course exporting certaing directories -alldirs is a bad
thingtm since there are assumptions that you can make about a filing system and
can jump directly to certain places if you know what you are doing. There are
cases where you need to do this (PCNFS printing, home directories etc) but
where possible you should export each 'mount point' by hand (yes yes yes, I
know I dont follow my own words on this but you should before following such a
path :)

As for rpc.pcnfsd not parsing the /etc/pcnfsd.conf file, I know it does but Im
pretty sure it doesnt do it when you think it should (try using kdump/ktrace on
it, and you should see it do a read on the file).

Finally without seeing the exact line in the /etc/printcap file that you have I
think it might be pretty hard to debug that one :)

Good luck!

Paul.

--
This mail was sent from a 233Mhz StrongARM N|C

--=_NCMail_mqki7A

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Reply</TITLE>
<BASE HREF=3D"file:">
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P>Dan,<BR>
<BR>
Just looking at this quickly...<PRE>&gt; /export -maproot=3Dnobody -ne=
twork 129.215.220 -mask 255.255.255.0</PRE>
The problem here <B>may</B>&#32;be that the export is not set '-alldir=
s' since as I recall pcnfs requires to be able to mount /export/ip_add=
ress directly as per &quot;man 5 exports&quot;, &#32;(and you need to =
create the directories in advance). ie:<BR>
<BR>
<TT>&gt; /export -maproot=3Dnobody -network 129.215.220 -mask 255.255.=
255.0 -alldirs</TT><BR>
<BR>
However there was a bug in the NetBSD mountd program the last time I c=
hecked. Basically you need to export a whole physical partition to use=
 the -alldirs command. However the fix for this (and I dont have a pre=
compiled binary to hand) is to get the source for mountd and roll your=
 own. Just look for the line that basically does the check for -alldir=
s not being on a whole physical partition and remove the 2 line check/=
error message bit.<BR>
<BR>
<B>Security warning</B>: Of course exporting certaing directories -all=
dirs is a bad thing<FONT SIZE=3D3><SUP>tm</SUP>&#32;since there are as=
sumptions that you can make about a filing system and can jump directl=
y to certain places if you know what you are doing. There are cases wh=
ere you need to do this (PCNFS printing, home directories etc) but whe=
re possible you should export each 'mount point' by hand (yes yes yes,=
 I know I dont follow my own words on this but you </FONT><I><FONT SIZ=
E=3D3>should</FONT></I><FONT SIZE=3D3>&#32;before following such a pat=
h :)<BR>
<BR>
As for rpc.pcnfsd not parsing the /etc/pcnfsd.conf file, I know it doe=
s but Im pretty sure it doesnt do it when you think it should (try usi=
ng kdump/ktrace on it, and you should see it do a read on the file).<B=

<BR>
=46inally without seeing the exact line in the /etc/printcap file that=
 you have I think it might be pretty hard to debug that one :) <BR>
<BR>
Good luck!<BR>
<BR>
Paul.</FONT></P>
</BODY>
</HTML>
<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT COLOR=3D#0000cc>--</FONT><FONT COLOR=3DRED><BR>
This mail was sent from a 233Mhz StrongARM N|C</FONT></P>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--=_NCMail_mqki7A--