Subject: Networks and CD's and things...
From: J M Oldak <cszjmo@scs.leeds.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/15/1997 15:52:50
Hi - me again, with more problems and queries... :)

Firstly, I've been trying to get nfs working properly on my little set up
(one RiscBSD box networked to one RiscOS box) - with limited success. I
shared /usr by adding it in the configure program, and this seems to be
OK. I can log on as "nobody" using OmniClient (as an Acorn sponsored
student I am covered on their site licence), and access public files.
However, I'd like to get it to allow me to log in as myself, and get owner
access to my files. However - I get the message "RPC Service Not
Registered" from Omni. I've played around with the inetd.conf file and
read stacks of man pages but can't figure out how to register the service
(I assume there is a separate authorisation demon or something???).

Secondly, I have an EtherH card in my RiscBSD computer (and my RiscOS
one), and I also have an Ether2 card available. I was wondering if (as the
EtherH driver is allegedly buggy) I would be better off using the
Ether2 for RiscBSD...

Thirdly (well - I might as well get all these things off my mind at once!
:), I have a copy of Gnome's X server (again, on Acorn's Site Licence) -
and was wondering how I could use this to run X windows over a network (if
at all possible). I've played around with it for a while but never got
anywhere with it! :(

Fourth, and finally (you might like this one, as it involves money!) - I'm
currently using the RiscBSD as found on the Acorn Developer CD a while
ago. Will I gain anything from upgrading it to the version recently
released on CD?

Thanks a lot! I'll buy you all a pint sometime! :)

Joe
 __
 _|) "My imagination is a wild and untamed thing"  - Steve Hodgson
(_|