Subject: Re: New releases ? Netscape ?
To: None <neil@causality.com>
From: Thomas Boroske <y0001006@ws.rz.tu-bs.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/12/1997 00:57:49
In message <34673F1D.FF6D5DF@causality.com> you wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> The new releases weren't going to be released and were just
> demonstrations.
> They _should_ be released. StarOffice will certainly be
> available at the end of the year (well StarDivision have told me it
> will, anyway)

Will it be free like the Linux one ?
Also, is it fast enough on current machines ?

> and Netscape---well, maybe, I'm still working on their
> sales department when I get a free minute (of which there aren't any at
> the moment).

Hmmm, Netscape would be really good. Mosaic sucks.

> A DMAd driver _is_ expected in the near future, but I've been saying
> this for the past year or so, so don't take it as Gospel.

Hmmm, you'll surely announce it when it's ready.

> Basically, the
> driver is such that the first DMA works fine, and then it hangs waiting
> for a 'counter finished counting' interrupt, which never happens (or
> something like that, Scott can clarify).

IIRC, that's exactly the state it was in a year ago ? At least an info
then I remember sounded quite similar ....

> I believe one of the more
> recent developments is that Gary Partis (designed the card) and a dood
> at Cumana may be interested in writing drivers themselves,

Well, they better start soon. But then, in the end my old (v1) card
will probably not be supported, who uses 3 year old cards anyway.
Doesn't matter though, before anything happens I'll probably be
running Linux on a Wintel box :-(

> so the
> likelihood of things happening is now more probably than before AFAIK.

> Perhaps someone else can clarify this stuff more. It'd be nice if some
> users started working on drivers, too, rather than just Mark and Scott.
> Any volunteers?

I would, obviously, but I'm totally clueless in this area. Plus
my current RiscBSD setup is absolutely unusuable for development ...

Kind regards,

--
Thomas Boroske