Subject: Re: Hard drives & cdrom problems
To: Andrew Garrard <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG (RiscBSD), awg@art.co.uk>
From: Jason O'Broin Desktop-SP <jobroin@madge.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/30/1997 17:57:19
> I, too, have a Maxtor (mine's a 2.7 Gb) as a master and one of the
> dual-speed Cumana CD-ROMs with a botch board (the kind Acorn were
> shipping for a while, I think) as a slave, on the internal interface.
> They work fine as a combination under RISC OS, but RiscBSD, as in your
> case, hangs when trying to probe the CD.

> Hope that's been some use, if only to let you know that you're not
> alone. If anyone wants to record this problem for compatability
> reasons, let me know and I can look up the type of the drive. I
> believe someone else was having CD problems a long time ago, but
> I'm afraid I can't find the posting, so I'm not sure whether it was
> related. Good luck.

That might have been me. I was having problems with my Sony double
speed CD drive (the one that came out of the old MEU) where it failed
to boot during the scan process.

In my case it was lack of SCSI termination on the CD ROM. RiscBSD seems
to be more sensitive to this than RISC OS.

However, having just rescanned your message, it looks like your having
IDE problems, so SCSI termination won't be the issue!!

Jason
--
Jason "International Man Of Leisure" O'Broin - Senior Development
Engineer, ATM Adapters