Subject: Perl and Kernel problems...
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <cszjmo@scs.leeds.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/29/1997 13:29:18
Hi:

I'm new to this list (this is my first email to it), and have only
very recently installed and started to use RiscBSD. Thus, apologies
if I ask anything too stoopid. I installed it using the same sets as on
the Acorn Developer CD, and the install kernel from the Causality web
site. I think everything installed OK (indeed, most things seem to
work).

However...

When installing I got the error "unable to open MAKEDEV.local" -
is this a problem, or something I can safely ignore?

When using Perl (V5.003, from a reasonably new RiscBSD set), it core
dumps whenever I use the "keys()" function call. Any ideas? Is
there a more recently compiled version of Perl around (or the source
code so that I can compile it myself).

And lastly, I'm using a StrongARM, but if I try to use a StrongARM
kernel (Rather than a ARM600/700 one) from the RiscBSD ftp site it
doesn't work - claiming that it can't find a swap device...

I'm using a pretty standard RiscPC (issue 1 motherboard), with the normal
420MB HD in the slave socket on the internal IDE interface. It has
16MB RAM and 2MB VRAM. I also have an EtherH card in it (but I can't
see that being a problem in this case).

Thanks - and have fun!

Joe Oldak (of Acorn Webmaster fame)