Subject: Re: Dialup from X
To: Alisdair McDiarmid <alisdair@illusion.oaktree.co.uk>
From: Scott Stevens <s.k.stevens@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/16/1997 10:40:50
Alisdair McDiarmid writes:
 > Is there a guide to using dialup from X/UNIX on RiscBSD, or one that
 > applies equally? I can't seem to get anything to work.

You'll need to look at pppd and chat. I can supply template scripts
(to run pppd), but the chat part is very site dependent. If you send
me a transcript of the login conversation (excluding
usernames/passwords), I'll try and knock something up for you.

 > What should I set my hostname to?

If you have a known static IP address when you dial up, set you
hostname to the name that IP address reverse lookups to.

 > --
 > ^KX

Using joe, eh ?

Cheers Scott

--
Scott Stevens, Network Services Group, Computer Centre, Imperial College
"Stop! I wanna go home, Take off this uniform, And leave the show.