Subject: Getting started, and using X
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Whiting <paul@whtng.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/14/1997 17:49:31
In message <c17f24c947%aireland@iris.mail.indigo.ie>
Adrian Irelan <aireland@mail.indigo.ie> wrote:

> In message <Marcel-1.26-0913153859-0b0a*2k@whtng.demon.co.uk>
>           Paul Whiting <paul@whtng.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Having just bought myself the Risc Disc 3, and another hard disc, I tried to
> > install RiscBSD. Things went moderately well, up to step 35 of the
> > instructions. I was told to type 'Configure' - which I duly did - only for
> > RiscBSD to report that it couldn't find this. I have installed the sets off
> > of the CD-ROM (for which the supplied instructions were wrong - but I found
> > the solution for mounting the CD off the Internet).
> >
> > If anyone could help me with the next stage of installing RiscBSD, I would
> > be very grateful.
>
> There is another version of the installation instructions that I think
> are on the web site. These are the ones that I used.
>
> I think I got it from
> ftp://ftp.ph.kcl.ac.uk/pub/acorn/RiscBSD/docs/Install.new
> It is 77k long

> Good Luck

Well, I followed his instructions, and things worked marginally better than before.
However, I am still not convinced that everything is fine. Of course, not knowing
what fine /is/ I can't say this with any conviction.

A small but annoying problem is that I can't delete things that I mistype. Often the
'Delete' key does not work, displaying '^?'. Typing 'stty erase ^h' does not help at
these times. The problem is however intermittent - and seems not to affect me so
much if I log on as 'root'.

A large and annoying problem is that I don't know how to use X. A UNIX book that I
bought in anticipation of getting RiscBSD tells me to type 'xinit', which the shell
complains that it cannot find.

In message <2af08bc947%aireland@iris.mail.indigo.ie>
Adrian P. Ireland <aireland@indigo.ie> wrote:

> /usr/X11R6.1/bin/X just starts the X server.
> You need to use.
> /usr/X11R6.1/bin/startx
>
> You also need to be in root
> and do
> chown root:wheel /usr/X11R6.1/bin/Xarm-27
> chmod 4755 /usr/X11R6.1/bin/Xarm-27
>
> In addition it would be a good idea to add
> /usr/X11R6.1/bin
> to your path. I do that in my .cshrc file as I am using the c shell.
>
> There is another fancier way xdm or something suggested but I have
> not tried that yet.

Which I did. Typing /usr/.../startx causes the machine to complain that it can't
find xinit. I know that it exists though as I can see it with 'ls /usr/X11R6.1/bin'.

I don't understand UNIX at all. Please, if someone is kind enough to help me, will
you make your explaination simple to follow.

Also, is there a general blanket policy of non-documentation with regard to RiscBSD?
The manuals that do exist tend to be riddled with errata, and need to be compared with
several different and often contradictory accounts from the farthest flung corners
of the net, along with a good bit of trial and error, and innumerable posts to the
mailing list.
--
To install RiscBSD you have to understand BSD.
To understand BSD you have to use BSD.