Subject: Re: Problems with X
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Adrian P. Ireland <aireland@indigo.ie>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/14/1997 15:44:54
In message <Marcel-1.26-0914101137-0b06648@verisimilitude.demon.co.uk>
          Alisdair McDiarmid <alisdair@illusion.oaktree.co.uk> wrote:

> Having installed RiscBSD fairly successfully I now want to use the X
> Window system.
>
> When I type /usr/X11R6.1/bin/X I get the 'XArm' banner screen followed
> by a grey screen with a black X in the centre. There is no further HD
> activity unless I press a key.
>
> Have I installed X incorrectly? How can I fix this?
Talk about deja vu!

I posted the same question about a month or so ago.

the anwser from Mike Pumford and other nice people included.

/usr/X11R6.1/bin/X just starts the X server.
You need to use.
/usr/X11R6.1/bin/startx

You also need to be in root
and do
chown root:wheel /usr/X11R6.1/bin/Xarm-27
chmod 4755 /usr/X11R6.1/bin/Xarm-27

In addition it would be a good idea to add
/usr/X11R6.1/bin
to your path. I do that in my .cshrc file as I am using the c shell.

There is another fancier way xdm or something suggested but I have
not tried that yet.

Adrian
--
Adrian Ireland mailto:aireland@mail.indigo.ie Put it off until tomorrow.
There are two kinds of pedestrians -- the quick,  and the dead.