Subject: Re: printing dont try this!
To: Adrian P. Ireland <aireland@indigo.ie>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/09/1997 18:26:47
On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Adrian P. Ireland wrote:

[snipped kernel panic trace and printcap]
> Well that was that I tried halt, reboot etc but eventually managed to
> lock things up with until.
> Now when I try to reboot I get back to the db> promt each time.

Boot up the system in single user mode. If this ends at the db> propmt it
is almost definately time to re-install.

mount the root file system read write using

mount -r /

rename printcap

Exit single user mode and the system will hopfully boot as normal.

When the system comes up modify the renamed printcap file and replace
/dev/lpt0 with /dev/lpa0.

now rename the file back to printcap and start lpd. Hopefully things
should work a lot better at this point.

> Is anyone able to print through the printer port?

Yes but only using /dev/lpa0 instead of /dev/lpt0.  FYI /dev/lpa0 is the
parallel port in polled mode. /dev/lpt0 is the parallel port in interrupt
driven mode.

HTH

Mike