Subject: printing dont try this!
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Adrian P. Ireland <aireland@indigo.ie>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/09/1997 18:04:18
Hi there,

I did not get any replies regarding my printing problem
	RPC600 38MB SA RO3.7
	Kernel voy/5328
	HPLJ6L on the parallel printer port

I noticed that on boot up the kernel reported lpt0 at .....

Big mistake but, I tried to get printing working by editing
my /etc/printcap file

.... [ /etc/printcap ] .....start
#	$NetBSD: printcap,v 1.3 1996/05/08 17:19:45 thorpej Exp $
#	@(#)printcap	5.3 (Berkeley) 6/30/90

# The original
#lp|local line printer:\
#	:lp=/dev/lp:sd=/var/spool/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

# Adrian's hacked bit
lp|local line printer:\
	:lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
	           ^^
.... [ /etc/printcap ] .....end

I started up the printer demon (I think)
myname# lpd
I tried to print a text file (I think)
myname# lpr xplot.save
At this point things looked good because the printer light flashed
I expected perhaps junk to come out as I had not done anything to
tell my system that I wanted text as for the HPLJ, ?PCL.

I then tried to see if there was a queue
myname# lpq
Process = f155ab00 pid = 89 comm = csh
CPSR = 6000009b Trackback info (frame = f2d02fb0)
fp -> lr = f0106278 fp -> pc = f011546C
Trapframe PC = f011d358
Trapframe SPSR = 4000009b
Branch through zero
The system whould now be considered very unstable :-)
panic: Yikes! in cpu_switch() but not in SVC mode (0000009b)
Stopped at 0xf011e808: ldmdb r11,{r11,r13,r15}
db>

Well that was that I tried halt, reboot etc but eventually managed to
lock things up with until.
Now when I try to reboot I get back to the db> promt each time.

Terrible !!!!!
Suppose I will have to reinstall again, where is that floppy gone?

Words of wisdom please.

Is anyone able to print through the printer port?

Adrian
--
Adrian Ireland mailto:aireland@mail.indigo.ie Put it off until tomorrow.
If quitters never win, and winners never cheat, then who is the fool who said "Quit while you're ahead"?