Subject: Newbie... problems with Initial boot
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Richard J N Barrass <richard@knight-soft.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/01/1997 20:11:08
hi,

Appologies for the seemingly repeat of a problem, but I have a problem
it seems with the ramdisk when I attempt to boot RiscBSD for the first
time.

I remembered from previous emails on the mailing list, that the ramdisc
has changed from /dev/rd0 to be /dev/md0.

I therefore, when following the installation manaul, replaced /dev/rd0a for
the ROOT device, to by /dev/md0a, and manually set the size of the ramdisc
to be 1440k. I saved the settings.

Upon booting, all seems to going okay - the kernel (voy-5328) detects drives
correctly but I then get...:

md0: allocated 0k (0 blocks)
boot device: <unknown>
root device: { I enter md0a }
swap device: { I enter wd1b }
file system: { I press return }

nogo1, Data abort: 'Translation fault (section)' status=005 address=e59ff018 pc=f0110b74
f0110b71: XP h : e8a05018: STMIA r0!, {r3-r4, r12, r14, OE, OE}  the OEs are
a single character
Secion fault is SVC mode
vm_fault( f0139640 pid=0 comm=swapper
CPSR=60000013 Traceback info (frame=f0164dbc)
fp->lr=f0105810 fp->pc=f0115470
Trapframe PC=f0110b74
Trapframe SPSR=20000013
panic fault cannot be handled

stopped at 0xf011e808 ldmdb r11, {r11, r13, r15}
db>

I have managed to get a system going so I can start to run the inst script
by choosing 'fd0a' as the Root device, but this fails when entering the
required sizes for the root and swap partitions, I guess because the
floppy is mounted read only.

I did check the mailing list, and found a similar problem from another user,
and I believe Scott Stevens suggested entering ramdisk=1440k in the 'Extra
options' spot. Alas, this did not fix the problem.

I am running a RiscPC 600 [Arm610] with 12mb DRAM, 1mb VRAM and a 1Gb
disc as a slave to the original 210mb drive... the RISCOS part of the disc
being the first 902 cylinders (1198 for RiscBSD).

I would also appreciate some suggestions for deciding the sizes of root and
swap since the suggested ones in the manual seem a little small. (I do
intend to install X and hopefully use the system to develop X apps - and
dial-in to work using PPP).

If I create a '/usr' partition, I would also like to create a '/home' to
store my users (at least one!) since this mirrors how the Sparc's at work
are configured.

Many thanks for any help/advice in advance

Richard

--
Richard Barrass Bsc.