Subject: pppd ...
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thomas Boroske <y0001006@ws.rz.tu-bs.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/11/1997 15:46:35
Hello !

I've just tried to connect to the internet using pppd.
I've set up a chat script that does the connect etc, and when I call pppd
the login works fine.

I can ping the remote host OK, but whenever I try another host (eg the
nameserver) I get "no route to host". When I try a named host, I get
"can't resolve" obviously.

netstat -r shows a route to the gateway. However, the problem seems to
be that this isn't set as the default route.

My question: How is this done ? I thought that pppd does that by itself.
In fact, when I kill pppd, it tries to delete the default route but fails
of course.

Another sign that there's something wrong is that in most cases, just after
pppd has connected, I get a message from routed saying "Network is down"
giving the remote ip adress.

I've spent the whole night in this problem, but couldn't find a solution.

I'll post the relevant files (those that I changed) here, perhaps someone
can have a look ?

Oh, this is using the 1.3 beta release, though I'm not sure where pppd
came from.

UnixFS:$.etc.ppp.chat/scr:
TIMEOUT 60
ABORT BUSY
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
"" AT&F0
OK ATZ
OK ATDT387510
ogin: y0001006
assword: ******
"MTU is" "\d\d\d\d\d\c"

UnixFS:$.etc.ppp.options

connect 'chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chat.scr'
lock
noipdefault
defaultroute
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote
-ac
-pc
-bsdcomp
user y0001006
crtscts
debug
/dev/tty00
115200

There's also a pap-secrets file with my password, but I don't think that's
needed as chat is used for the login.

UnixFS:$.etc.host/conf :

hosts bind

UnixFS:$.etc.hosts :

127.0.0.1		localhost
127.0.0.2		myname.my.domain

I added the second entry because without one /etc/netstart would always
fail when trying to do a "route add myname.my.domain localhost".
???

UnixFS:$.etc.resolv/conf :

search rz.tu-bs.de tu-bs.de
nameserver 134.169.9.107