Subject: Re: Qt already ported?
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andreas Wittrock <in5y483@public.uni-hamburg.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/31/1997 21:09:29
In message <199707311248.NAA09515@sun52.NIS.cambridge>
          Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com> wrote:

> The correct GNU canonicalization for an ARM based machine running NetBSD
is

>   arm-unknown-netbsd{version}
>
> I recently installed a change to the official source of config.guess to
> ensure this happens.  In time this will get released into most GNU
> packages.
>
> arm32 is what netbsd calls its port to the ARM processor family; it is
not
> what should be returned as the CPU name in the GNU canonical string.
>
> Richard.

You're right. In conclusion to this there shoud be made some changes to
the behavior of the kernel and 'uname' by the kernelteam or other relevant
persons, so that 'uname -m' gives 'arm' and not 'arm32', 'uname -s' gives
'netbsd', 'uname -v' produces '1.2' (or 1.3, 1.4 for later versions) and
not the full path to the kernelsources incl. systemname and systemversion.
And 'uname -r' should give 'A, B, C, etc' depending on the release version.

But at the moment my 'patch' worked for me. I made it only because the
installed versions of config.gues and config.sub didn't work. I don't know
when the KDE-team will install the latest versions of config.guess and
config.sub in KDE. At this time they use different versions from 1996 an
1997. And even when they use them, there's still the problem with the
kernel and the results from uname, descibed above.

Andreas
--
Andreas Wittrock  eMail: in5y483@public.uni-hamburg.de