Subject: Re: Segmention fault (core dumped)
To: Marcus Deubel <i105@stio1.fh-wuerzburg.de>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/14/1997 18:04:14
On Jul 14,  6:48pm, Marcus Deubel wrote:
> Subject: Segmention fault (core dumped)
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm trying to compile DDD 2.1.1. I get a segmention fault when running
> and have tracked down it to a certain place of the source code.
>
> My question is now: What is a segmention fault exactly?

A segmentation fault is where a program tries to access some memory which
doesn't belong to it. This usually happens when a pointer gets corrupted or
something similar. Try loading the program and corefile (you need to unlimit
coresize) into gdb. Then you can examine the state of the program when it died.

Cheers

Rob