Subject: Re: Kaffe for NetBSD/arm32
From: Peter Naulls <pnaulls@wave.co.nz>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/19/1997 12:20:21
> To be perfectly honest, I really don't have the first clue. Perhaps the
> resident Java brain (Peter?) can shed some light on whether the libraries
> for say AWT from i386 Java may work. Depends if there's a platform
> independant way of calling external native code libraries, I guess.

Assuming you can get hold of the sources for it, then I don't see
why not - does depends a bit on the exact interface the Kaffe
authour has chosen for native libraries though.

In Java, you do something like:

  static native void some_native_routine(int a, int b);

After which it's upto the virtual machine what happens.  The method
by which JDK calls native code is well documented - basically you
have a library file (compiled from C, etc) and some C style header files.

In Chockcino, I haven't yet decided on anything (atm only individual
native routines are trapped by the VM, and executed internally) -
you'd be advised to check what Kaffe uses, but I'm don't think it'll
be anything tricky.

Peter

--
| Peter Naulls                            | Acorn Risc PC 700  *ARM Powered*  |