Subject: Copyright Issues
From: Chris Gilbert <cg110@york.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/17/1997 21:09:29
Hi,

I'm just curious to know if any of the recent copyright issues that have
been going around on current-user effect the arm32 port, I know at
present they don't but could they effect any future riscbsd binaries and
source.

For those that don't know the effect (IMO) is that Chris G Demetriou has
decided on to use a new licence in the top of their source files.  The
effect is (following the letter of the licence, from what ppl have said,
although the idea is to protect cgd from people violating the licence)
that any mention of NetBSD (that includes a file by cgd) also has to
include:

This product includes software developed by
Christopher G. Demetriou for the NetBSD Project.

This appears to be the way people reading current-users understand it.
I'm not too sure on this as I've not followed closely enough.

The worry this causes me is what happens with the deals causality have,
would a company purchasing a riscbsd based product want to continually
mention:
This product includes software developed by
Christopher G. Demetriou for the NetBSD Project.

This is a worry to me as I've happily enjoyed using riscbsd over the
past year or more (and have contributed a few bits)  but the problem it
causes me is that I don't want to have to mention:

This product includes software developed by
Christopher G. Demetriou for the NetBSD Project.

At every mention of riscbsd, in every media.

Perhaps my interpreation is wrong I've only read the licence once, but
it appears to indicate this.

What do I do to avoid this?  Stop using current and revert to 1.2.1
source and compile only the new gnu stuff?  change to Armlinux?

NB I'm not sure if this has a direct effect on riscbsd yet, however I
can see that it might in the near future.  It may even effect the use of
netbsd on the digital NC's (although that's something I can't comment
on)

I understand that the people writing for netbsd should be given a bit
more credit, but for a license to imply at every mention seems extreme.

Chris

PS my aim is not to worry anyone but I'd rather find out other peoples
opinion on this.  I may have been mis-led by all the posts.

PPS the new cgd licence can be found in
src/sys/arch/alpha/alpha/locore.s on any netbsd-current mirror.  If
anyone wants a copy I can send by email.