Subject: Re: newfs'ing a large disk
To: port-arm32 , Chris Gilbert <cg110@york.ac.uk>
From: Duncan Ferguson <d.ferguson@worc.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/16/1997 14:04:16
> On Wed, 11 Jun 1997 d.ferguson@worc.ac.uk wrote:
>
> > Just tried an fsck to check that the 9gb drive is ok and its taken
> > over 4 minutes so far ;o)  ( i dont want to risk not doing fsck's
> > during bootup yet 'cos i want to make sure i added it right...)
>
> The fsck at boot up only runs if the disc/partition was not unmounted
> properly, so as long as you don't crash/panic etc you'll be ok as the disk
> will be marked clean.

Well, i left it going Friday night to see how long an fsck would take
and it was 1 hour 7 minutes - it bugs me that i left it go for 1 hour
five and then stopped it thinking it wasnt doing anything... ;o)

As for fscking it otherwise i was thinking about trying to write a
cron job that specifically checked that drive.  Thinking about it i
can probably interrupt fsck if it kicks in on boot-up, so i'll
probably just do it the normal way anyhow.

Oh well, i can calm down after last weeks 'ruch' now ;o)

Cheers,

  Duncs,

| Duncan Ferguson               Network Support Officer |
|         Worcester College of Higher Education         |
| My views are not necessarily supported by the college |
|                And who can blame them?                |