Subject: Re: Digital Network Appliance board vs. NetBSD
To: Francis Yeung <redell@pa.dec.com, fyeung@fyeung8.netific.com>
From: Wes Peters <wes@dayna.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/13/1997 10:36:03
Francis Yeung wrote:
% Any pricing information for the DNA board ?

Dave Redell replied:
> The reference design is intended as a basis for products
> capable of competing effectively in the expected price
> band for NCs -- i.e. in the range of $500-$700, depending
> on configuration. Digital will sell sample quantities for
> evaluation purposes, but pricing is not yet announced for
> those units.
>
> The actual volume products, from Digital or anyone else,
> are not yet announced, so pricing has not yet been set.
>
> Another important point is that the reference design is
> intended to evolve with advances in technology to allow
> lower product price points for subsequent network appliances
> derived from the initial reference design. In other words,
> don't assume from the above that a DNA-enhanced television
> set would suffer a $500 price hit.
>
> Dave Redell
> Digital Equipment Corporation
> Internet Appliance Group

Thanks for the comments, Dave.  I'd like to note that Digital
gives away Gerber plots for the reference design, as well
as design notes and such.  You could easily make your own
boards.

Now, Dave, do you know of anyone I can *buy* a couple of the
reference cases from?  One of the booth reps at Interop mentioned
NCD and Wyse, but had no idea of who I might want to talk to.

--
Wes Peters                          It was a diamond as big as the Ritz
Software Engineer                  What you gonna do with this, tell me