Subject: Re: Digital Network Appliance board vs. NetBSD
To: Wes Peters <wes@dayna.com>
From: Jay Kistler <jjk@pa.dec.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/10/1997 22:47:34
> Can anyone here at "port-arm32" tell me where I can obtain information
> about the NetBSD release for the DNA board?  Can it be built from NetBSD
> release code, or are there bits and pieces that must be obtained specially
> for the DNA board?

The DNA-specific bits are not yet integrated into the mainline NetBSD
source.  This is simply a scheduling issue; the people who must do
the merge have some critical deadlines toward the end of this month.
I expect that the merge will be completed and made publicly available
in early July.

> Also, can anyone tell me if X11 has been ported to the VGA controller on
> this board?  I supposed this is really more a question for the folks
> at XFree86, but I'm not sure they would be interested in an SA-110 based
> system, and feel certain *someone* at NetBSD will know.

Yes, an XFree86-based X Server has been ported to this platform.
We made an attempt to get our changes merged into the XFree86 tree,
but things were disrupted by the transition from XFree86 3.2 -->
3.3 and by our own continued evolution of the server.  I expect that
we'll post patch kits to both 3.2 and 3.3, again in the July time-frame,
and we'll also work to get the mods permanently included in the XFree86
source tree.

                            -Jay