Subject: Re: Oak Recorder
To: Sparkers <stevehobbs@enterprise.net>
From: Neil A. Carson <neil@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/01/1997 21:22:54
On Sun 01 Jun, Sparkers wrote:
> In message <3391586E.EEE@york.ac.uk>
>           Chris Gilbert <cg110@york.ac.uk> wrote:

> > Interesting point, if you actually get a driver to work with just a
> > parallel port, no asm, you could pheasibly use the oak-recorder on any
> > unix system with a parallel port...

It wouldn't be quite that simple, but basically, sort-of.

> ISTR that a public domain driver (for RiscOS) exists, possibly on HENSA.
> That should be fairly hackable, as I think it was in BASIC.

I don't know about the HENSA driver, but I have one of the devices (low-rate
though they were) buried here. Basically AFAIR you waggle one pin up and down in
software (D1 or D2?), which then causes the data to be sent in bit by bit on
the busy line. The key to this is very accurate timing, which might be
tough on a preemptive system like NetBSD? (not really knowing)? A number of
years ago I designed my own sampler (one of the few bits of hardware I have
actually done) which worked in precisely this way, with a serial ADC and an
081 op-amp.

> If I had a copy of RiscBSD, I'd have a go, but I'm still waiting for the CD.

Mark should have posted that (I'll check) so you should receive it RSN.

	Regards,

	Neil

--
Neil A. Carson
Marketing Director              Causality Limited (London, UK)