Subject: Problems installing RiscBSD
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason O'Broin Desktop-SP <jobroin@madge.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/26/1997 01:52:50
I hope this is the right mailing list. Apologies if not.

Having picked up a copy of the RiscBSD 1.2 CD at the Wakefield show,
I've spent this evening trying to install it and have so far failed as it
hangs
during the initial boot sequence.

Setup: 	RISC PC, SA-110, 24 + 2MB, Cumana SCSI II (firmware version 2.03)

	+ Sony CDU-561 Double Speed CD.
	420 MB + 1.7 GB IDE harddisks, 486DX4/100 PC card. RISC OS 3.7

I'm using the second hard disk for RiscBSD and have partitioned it into a
900MB
RISC OS partition, with the rest set aside for RiscBSD. I have run
bb_riscbsd
to setup the partitioning information for RiscBSD.

After this, I have run !BtRiscBSD which I have configured thus:
Kernel: CDFS::0.$.NETBSD/SA110
Root device: /dev/cd0a
Swap device: /dev/cd0b
Multiple user mode (ie. single user mode unselected)
Screen mode: X1024 Y768 C256 F60
Video DRAM: 0K
Extra options: ramdisc=1440K
No CPU options selected
Max processes: 32
Memory disc: 0K
Load symbol table option selected

(I have also tried a few other variations (e.g. single user mode) to no
avail.

After selecting boot, the kernel comes up and finds the various system
devices correctly
(i.e. cpu0, fpe0, iomd0, pioc0, fdc0, fd0, lpt0, com0, com1, wdc0, wd0,
wd1, quadmouse0,
   beep0, vidcaudio0, kbd0, iic0, rtc0, vidcvideo0, rpc0..5, podulebus0)

All this seems pretty reasonable.

The final three lines are finding the SCSI adapter after which the CD ROM
drive
is spun up and accessed and then nothing else happens

podule0 at podulebus0 : Cumana : SCSI II interface : SCSI-2 & CDFS
Expansion Card
csc0 at podulebus0 [ podule 0 ]: dmabuf V0xf25e7000 P0x103cc000 host=7
scsibus0 at csc0
[CD Drive mounts, spins and then stops]

If I twiddle the caps lock key, the keyboard light changes. However, if I
press any
other key, the system seems to completely lock up - even caps lock fails
to work.

I'm at a bit of a loss what to do now. Anyone got any good ideas?

TIA,

Jason
--
     Jason O'Broin - Senior Development Engineer, ATM Adapter Group
Madge Networks, Sefton Park, Bells Hill, Stoke Poges, Slough SL2 4JS. UK