Subject: Re: Problems installing RiscBSD
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Jasper Wallace <jasper@ivision.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/29/1997 11:32:37
On Mon, 28 Apr 1997, David Brownlee wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Apr 1997, Tony Houghton wrote:

[thnip]
> > seems to fix the first problem, albeit only for the current session, but
> > how do I make root r/w and get all the others to mount automatically?

could you be booting single user?

> > Oh, not that I can configure anything while root's read-only, but once
> > that's sorted, what timezone should I use for BST?
> >

> 	/etc/fstab contains a list of mountpoints and should be something
> 	like: (your partitions other than 'a' may very)
>
> 		/dev/wd0a       /               ffs     rw 1 1
> 		/dev/wd0e       /usr            ffs     rw 1 2
> 		/dev/wd0f       /var            ffs     rw 1 3
>
> 	If you boot single user it will _always_ only have / mounted
> 	readonly. This is to enable the disks to be fsck'd without risk
> 	of disk corruption - no writes can be made until they are known
> 	to be 'clean'.
>
> 	From single user you can 'fsck ; mount -va' to check the
> 	partitions listed in /etc/fstab, then mount them. (If you have
> 	any nfs or similar partitions this will complain as the network
> 	will not have been configured - dont worry about this).

alternativly use 'mount -Av -t nonfs' - which will only mount non-nfs local
unmounted filesystems

> 	To get partitions to mount automatically, ensure they are in fstab
> 	and boot multiuser.
>
> 	For timezones, I think its just GB - look in /usr/share/zoneinfo
> 	and copy 'GB' or a similar appropriate file to /etc/localtime.

you can just symlink it if you want...

(as root)
ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/GB /etc/localtime

/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London is another possible..

--
I've got a
		 *Universal Turing Machine*