Subject: Re: Problems installing RiscBSD
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tony Houghton <tony@tonyh.tcp.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/27/1997 22:22:49
In message <Pine.GSO.3.95.970427191914.18248A-100000@holyrood.ed.ac.uk>
          Daniel Brown <crp02@holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> > [Screen corruption when using 800x600
> >
> > > have you tried 800x600x256 at 70 hz ?
> >
> > Yes, that's corrupted too.
>
> No comment on this one - though on a 2Mb VRAM machine, 1024x768x70Hz works
> fine. I think Rob's the man to comment in detail, the answer hopefully
> making its way into the appropriate FAQ.

That's what I've been using. You can get that with 1MB VRAM as well, but
I think you have to tweak the VIDC BandLimit file.

> > After running the MountHD4e Obey file for UnixFS, OpenRoot comes up with
> > an empty window. If I use MountHD4a instead, the directories are there,
> > but /usr is empty. I have followed the instructions for creating and
> > seteting the access of the /distrib directory under BSD, and it seems to
> > have worked, and ls shows several other things in /usr as well. I just
> > can't read the /usr directory under UnixFS.
>
> This is a consequence of the way Unix file systems work. Each file system
> needs mounting before you can get at it - the usual way is to specify a
> mount point on the root file system (which is mounted itself at boot
> time). For example, if you mount wd0e on /usr, then the contents of the
> wd0e partition attach themselves to /usr. If wd0e contained the directory
> 'distrib', then you'd get at it, after mounting it, by changing to
> /usr/distrib, for example.
>
> Under RISC OS, you mount each partition separately, and look at them under
> separate filer windows. This means that MountHD4a/OpenROOT produces a
> filer window containing the contents of the wd0a partition *only*, with no
> other partitions mounted inside. To look at the contents of wd0e (usually
> mounted on /usr), you need to do a MountHD4e, then an OpenROOT. Then you
> see the contents of wd0e - all directories stripped of /usr. Thus
> /usr/distrib under RiscBSD becomes just distrib under RiscOS.

In that case it looks like I don't have wd0e mounted on /usr. If what I
tried to do worked properly I should have partitions for root, swap, var
and usr. Wouldn't that make usr wd0d (again, by my limited
understanding).

> As an aside - remember to run the Unmount script before finishing with
> UnixFS - otherwise things may get a little confused/corrupted.

Yes, I've been doing that.

> > I can see I'll have to get a Unix book ASAP, but I was hoping to get it
> > installed this weekend :-(.
>
> O'Reilly and Associates seem to have this corner of the market...

Yes, but when I was in my local library a few months back I noticed a
nice little Unix pocket book, and I thought, "Ah, that might be handy if
I ever install RiscBSD." ;)

--
                       \  http://www.tcp.co.uk/~tonyh/