Subject: Re: Problems installing RiscBSD
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tony Houghton <tony@tonyh.tcp.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/27/1997 16:19:16
In message <Pine.SGI.3.95L.970427015747.13184A-100000@tower.york.ac.uk>
          Chris Gilbert <cg110@york.ac.uk> wrote:

> hi,
>
> On Sat, 26 Apr 1997, Tony Houghton wrote:

[Screen corruption when using 800x600

> have you tried 800x600x256 at 70 hz ?

Yes, that's corrupted too.

[Can't mount root problem]

> Try using an earlier kernel, one that still uses rd for ram disc, not md
> for memory disc.  Use it to boot up and setup your hard disc, then you can
> use the later kernels.  Note that using an earlier kernel might mean that
> you can't halt/reboot, you'll get the shutdown counter reach 1 and it
> won't reset, this is fixed now though.

It seems OK with SA kernel 15.

> You might want to download btriscbsd 2.88 as well if using a newer kernel,
> it's got a nicer interface to unixfs.

I still can't get through to the main FTP site, and the new version
doesn't seem to be available from the Imperial mirror.

The problem I've got now is that UnixFS can't find any directories. The
instructions about partitioning the drive under BSD didn't seem very
good when it came to explaining mount points. I allocated 32MB to root,
64MB to swap, 16MB to /var and the balance from ~800MB to /usr. I didn't
really know what to enter for the mount points, so I put /var for the
prompt after the 16MB partition, then /usr for the prompt after the
final large partition. Is that right?

After running the MountHD4e Obey file for UnixFS, OpenRoot comes up with
an empty window. If I use MountHD4a instead, the directories are there,
but /usr is empty. I have followed the instructions for creating and
seteting the access of the /distrib directory under BSD, and it seems to
have worked, and ls shows several other things in /usr as well. I just
can't read the /usr directory under UnixFS.

I've just had a thought. I first tried to follow the instructions to
create the /distrib directory in root instead of /usr, then realised my
mistake. Maybe the chmod a+rx / command blocked read access to /usr form
UnixFS?

I can see I'll have to get a Unix book ASAP, but I was hoping to get it
installed this weekend :-(.

--
                       \  http://www.tcp.co.uk/~tonyh/