Subject: Problems installing RiscBSD
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tony Houghton <tony@tonyh.tcp.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/26/1997 23:58:19
I'm trying to install RiscBSD (partially from the Risc Disc 3), but I've
got problems.

Firts of all, when attempting to boot from !BtRiscBSD all the text was
badly corrupted. I found it worked using the default mode of 1024x768 at
60Hz instead of trying to use my usual 800x600x256 at 75Hz (which wasn't
the resolution it was actually using BTW, I could tell from the size of
the display), but it isn't comfortable to read on a 14/15" monitor.

Now the problem I'm having is that it "can't mount root". It gets as far
as saying:

  swap dev 1001 wd0: no disk label
  -> device not configured for swap

followed by a sort of hex dump with lots of tags beginning spl. Then it
says:

  md0: allocated 0K (0 blocks)
  panic: cannot mount root
  Stopped at 0xf0117d04 : ldmdb r11, {r11, r13, r15}

I thought the bit about "device not configured for swap" was a bit
strange seeing as the BtRiscBSD option implied I was configuring it for
swap.

The trace command produced:

  ?(0xf0117d04)
  ?(0xf001f988)
  ?(0xf000fe80)
  ?(0xf000005c)

My hard drive is a Seagate, about 2GB. It has a sector size of 512, 16
heads and 63 sectors per track. I've allocated 1200MB (2457 cylinders)
to ADFS with a LFAU of 4K, and the rest to RiscBSD - at least that was
the idea.

I've got a StrongARM with 26MB and nothing very exotic in my boot
sequence, but I am using Acorn's ROM patches 2.02. I'm using BtRiscBSD
2.87, StrongARM kernel 4958, and INST_12/FS.

Is there any way of getting back to RISC OS from the db prompt without
resetting?

PS the BETA/TXT installation guide supplied with the Risc Disc didn't
seem very good, so I downloaded the newer installation guide, which
is much more thorough. It went a bit funny when un-gzip-ing with SparkFS
and most of the appendixes seem to be missing. Has anyone else had this
problem?

--
                       \  http://www.tcp.co.uk/~tonyh/