Subject: Re: Unlimit ?
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/16/1997 19:36:08
On Apr 16,  7:33pm, Thomas Boroske wrote:
> Subject: Unlimit ?
>
> Hello !!!
>

> The answer to Q 7.6 in the FAQ ("I have plenty of memory, but gcc complains
about "virtual memory exhausted" when it tries to compile a large source
file.")
> says you can use
> "limit datasize unlimited"
> or
> "unlimit"
> to remove the kernel's limits.
>
> Now I've had problems with xv complaining about "not enough memory to ...",
> and I thought this may be related.
> However, the limit command seems to be missing, as well as "unlimit".
> Did I miss a set, or is this a built-in, or what ?

The limit and unlimit commands are c-shell builtins. The sh/bash/ksh equivalent
to both limit and unlimit is ulimit. Note that the options are very different
(see the bash/csh man pages for details).

> Also, when using X in 16bpp, I'm no longer able to switch to a console
> using alt-fx. Is this known (I suppose so), and is there a workaround ?

Yes, its known. I have no idea why but under some circumstances with screen
start address the kernel gives you is NULL. This only seems to happen in 16bpp
modes inside signal handlers. I stopped you from switching console in 16bpp
modes because the alternative was to have X core dump about every other time
you switch console. I think alt+prnt scrn still releases the keyboard if X
hangs. Once you have done this you can switch consoles away from X but X no
longer gets any keyboard events.

The new console doesn't seem to suffer from this problem but as I'm still
changing the ABI (ioctls) on a daily basis I don't really want to let it out of
the door (I also don't have X working on the new console -- where 'working'
includes mouse and keyboard support).

Cheers

Rob