Subject: Re: Kernel for ATAPI and Powertec
To: None <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
From: Thomas Boroske <y0001006@tu-bs.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/12/1997 14:16:45
In message <Pine.SOL.3.91-941213.970411143948.7077E-100000@duss0.dur.ac.uk> you wrote:

>   Unfortunately they don't have ATAPI support. I think you'll have to
> compile your own kernel for that, unless someone else here can get you one.

I had a go at building a kernel, but didn't have success. Apparently,
including an atapi device couldn't be done as before. With my old
archive, the atapi was configured using "atapibus at wdc" and
"acd* at atapibus?" atc, but this seems to have changed for the more
recent source archive.

First the atapi source directory wasn't included at all, and then the
arch/arm32/conf/files.arm32 file gave indication that atapi is now
attached to mainbus, however the files needed (should be under
arch/arm32/mainbus/exp/xxx) weren't there (the exp directory wasn't).
All this if I understood the purpose of this file correctly.

Before I have a go at the current file from the netbsd site:
Has anyone got any ideas how to configure an atapi drive with this source
tree (from sources/kernels/sys-arm32.tar.gz, dated 4. April) ?
Will it be possible to configure an atapi device at all, with the
current sources ???

Also, is there documentation somewhere about the kernel configuration
(ie what's in which files etc) apart from the config_guide.txt -
or is this considered general Unix wizard knowledge ?
If so, does anyone know a good reading on Unix system architecture
or other appropriate books ?

I hope you don't mind my questions,

--
Thomas Boroske