Subject: Re: Kernel for ATAPI and Powertec
To: None <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
From: Thomas Boroske <y0001006@tu-bs.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/12/1997 08:38:45
In message <Pine.SOL.3.91-941213.970411143948.7077E-100000@duss0.dur.ac.uk> you wrote:

> > I've heard that the voyager kernels also work with SA now, but didn't have
> > any success with voy-4956 (the latest in 1.2-release/kernels, I believe).
> > There are also a lot of kernels in the autobuild directory, but which
> > of these could be the right one ?
>
>   Try a few!  They are built every day from current souurce, so aren't
> guaranteen do work :)  Just try at the end (The latest kernels) and work
> backwards.

Yes, I've tried that now, and they work OK.
BTW, I'm rapidly learning to find my way during the last few days.

>   Unfortunately they don't have ATAPI support. I think you'll have to
> compile your own kernel for that, unless someone else here can get you one.

I've already compiled a kernel with ATAPI support from an old (late 96)
sys-arm32.tar.gz distribution. I've now asked how to get the latest sources,
and Peter Berg has pointed me to the current file on the netbsd site.
This file is unfortunately 9MB big, so I've downloaded a sys-arm32 file
from the RiscBSD site, dated 4.April, which hopefully has all the later
changes included.

I'll have a look at sup too, but my understanding was that you needed
a working and direct internet connection for that ?!?

Thank you for your help.

--
Thomas Boroske