Subject: Re: Kernel plus even more questions
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stefan Voss <voss@yoda.in-berlin.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/10/1997 20:49:31
In message <20000410.083725.97@y0001006.tu-bs.de>
     Thomas Boroske wrote:

> > What do you mean by "unusuable"? Can you give an example?
>
> OK, say I'm running X fine. But if I copy a large file (a kernel or something)
> or load an image in xv or just do a find, I can watch the cpu bar in xosview
> jump up to 100 percent, with more than 80% taken by interrupt and sys.
> The result is that the mouse pointer starts to jump and keyboard input
> is only processed a second after the key is pressed.
> That combined with the 3 second stop every 20 or 30 seconds (caused by
> the system cleaning the fs, IIRC) makes the system pretty unusuable.
>
> I'm using a kernel from the autobuild directory (8.Apr IIRC).

I tried the above on both of my installations with the same kernel
(April 8th). It seems that the slow disk access is the reason. I can
confirm the flaky mouse pointer and the slow response to key presses on
the SCSI system.

It was ok on the IDE system. Mouse and keys performed normally during the
disk access.

> [...]
>
> Next one is ps, with a recent kernel it reports "proc size mismatch".
> I vaguely remember this has been a topic before, but can't remember the
> solution.

I posted an similar message some weeks ago but there was no response. The
command affected is "w".

> [...]
>
> Finally, has anyone got a latex + xdvi set that works with RBSD 1.2 ? I
> tried a texbin and texlib set from an older version, but that one only crashed
> (same as with emacs).

I found that the teTeX package compiles pretty much "out of the box".
Should be on the TeX ftp sites, e.g. ftp.dante.de

> Thomas Boroske

Regards,
   Stefan

--