Subject: Re: Kernel plus even more questions
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thomas Boroske <y0001006@tu-bs.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/09/1997 16:09:44
In message <b2eaf97747@yoda.in-berlin.de> you wrote:

> In message <19970409.031753.11@y0001006.tu-bs.de>
>      Thomas Boroske wrote:

> > That is, my system goes totally unusuable whenever I start a command that
> > accesses the disc.
>
> What do you mean by "unusuable"? Can you give an example?

OK, say I'm running X fine. But if I copy a large file (a kernel or something)
or load an image in xv or just do a find, I can watch the cpu bar in xosview
jump up to 100 percent, with more than 80% taken by interrupt and sys.
The result is that the mouse pointer starts to jump and keyboard input
is only processed a second after the key is pressed.
That combined with the 3 second stop every 20 or 30 seconds (caused by
the system cleaning the fs, IIRC) makes the system pretty unusuable.

I'm using a kernel from the autobuild directory (8.Apr IIRC).

> > Or are these hiccups caused by something else ???
>
> I actually have two RiscBSD installations, one is on an IDE disk and
> the other one is on a PTec driven SCSI disk. If you give an example I can
> test it with both installation to see if the disk access makes the
> difference.

It's just that file operations (eg something as simple as a copy) don't
happen in the background.

A friend of mine has RBSD installed on an IDE, I'll check with him tomorrow.

I still need a current kernel with ATAPI support, and just for fun had a
go at a source file that was on my cd (sources/kernel/sys-1.2a-111096) and
turned out to be a tar.gz of the kernel source (probably old).

I followed the (probably outdated) instructions in the docs/config_guide.txt
file (I didn't patch anything, as I took the file to be the pure arm32
sources only).

At first config had trouble finding ../../../../std.arm32 (IIRC), I solved
that by copying the std.arm32 in the conf directory everywhere down the
directory tree :-)

After that, make depend went OK, but make failed in the link stage with
some missing symbols (something with ether). I finally realised I had
ethernet device support switched off but possibly left some of the ethernet
related network modules selected, could this be the problem ?

I've now started another make with only the internet module enabled, but
it's not completed yet.

Anyway, I would like to know how to get the current kernel sources, I know
it's got something to do with "sup", but I've got no idea what this
means (though I can imagine a lot of things). Sorry to sound so dumb, but
could someone explain the procedure to me or just point me to a doc file
or web page where it is explained ?

Next one is ps, with a recent kernel it reports "proc size mismatch".
I vaguely remember this has been a topic before, but can't remember the
solution.

BTW, what is "native boot" meant to do ? I put my kernel file as /netbsd
and selected "native kernel on SCSIFS" in the bootloader (2.88), but
where's the difference ?

Finally, has anyone got a latex + xdvi set that works with RBSD 1.2 ? I
tried a texbin and texlib set from an older version, but that one only crashed
(same as with emacs).

Many thanks to anyone who could answer some of my questions.

Kind regards,

--
Thomas Boroske