Subject: Re: Performance
To: None <s_boesle@ira.uka.de>
From: None <olly@muscat.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/09/1997 11:17:54
In article <"iraun1.ira.490:09.04.97.10.01.35"@ira.uka.de>, you wrote:
>[...] ARM710/50MHz to a StrongARM110/202MHz [...]
>The times for generating the code generator und compiling
>22 .c files are listed below. I have 20+2MB RAM, 1GB SCSI-][ with
>a Connect32 card.
>
>Proc	X11		terminal
>----------------------------------
>SA110	3min 44sec	3min 42sec	(kernel #4958)
>710	4min 28sec	3min 53sec	(kernel #4740)
>
> I made only one run, because the results shocked me.

Compiling with gcc is probably going to involve a fair bit of disk activity,
so a faster processor isn't going to help as much as you might hope,
especially if you're using one of the slower device drivers (can't remember
what the Connect32 one is like).  The StrongARM will just be able to twiddle
its thumbs faster.

What do you get if you repeat the above but use something like the time
command to find out where the time is actually being spent?

Olly
--
I am not now and have never been.