Subject: Re: Preliminary RiscBSD and X programming questions
To: None <skilling@signal.dra.hmg.gb>
From: Jochen Scharrlach <jscharrl@BA-Stuttgart.De>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/01/1997 22:05:26
Hi,

> I want to start programming in C++ for X windows.
> I don't know where to start. Which libraries should I
> use and which man pages should I look at. I have the
> X11dev set.

There is a whole set of books concerning Xlib. Trying to learn
X-programming with the manpages is quite tough (I know what I am
talking about... :)

> 1. How do I read the mouse position.
> 2. How do I detect if a key is depressed on the keyboard.

That's part of the event handling... get the books :)

> I intend to write a real-time realistic helicopter simulator
> for your information.

Ouch, you'll need a *fast* X server for this... and an OpenGL-grfx
card wouldn't be bad, either...

> BTW.. I've done masses of windows programming for
> RISC OS and lots of C++.

That won't help you too much, because the Xlib isn't C++ at all! Well,
it is a bit object oriented, but it's 100% C :((

Bye,
Jochen

--
                      EMail:   jscharrl@ba-stuttgart.de