Subject: sa-110-4958 kernel problems
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rainer Schubert <NetBSD@dl6hbo.gag.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/19/1997 19:40:59
Hi,

there are some problems with the SA110-4958 kernel, I wish to tell you
about and ask for help.

1st Kernel does not reboot when told to do so but instead hangs the machine
    after doing it's shutdown hooks. Only help is to switch off the machine.

2nd the ps command does not work as expected. The only option working with
    the ps command is -L.
    In any other case ps returns an error according to this 'procsize error
    13640 648 chunks'.  Sometime there is a 'floating point error' as well.

3rd netstat sometimes crashes with a read error.

4th printing from RiscBSD with any kernel I have tested up to now is still
    a problem as any of the kernels tested states the printer (a HP DeskJet
    and a HP LaserJet) as being offline. /dev/lpt0 shows a file length of
    0 (zero) bytes while /dev/lpa0 is 128 bytes long.
    Trying a 'cat filename > /dev/lpa0 results in one line of text with all
    the rest being printed on the right side of the paper one printed over
    the other one in a manner looking much like chinese characters.

Good points with kernel 4958 are: The serial port works much more reliable
e.g. transmitting say /netbsd in binary mode works fine without more than
one or two 'silo overflows' at about 10000 cps with the serial port set
to 115200 bps and the second machine being an oldish A410/1 with a DualSerial
card and the TCP/IP client on the other side is !TCPIP (ArcKA9Q).

Reversing the process is much slower with kernel 4958 e.g. a get in binary
mode performs at less than 3000 cps with lots of 'silo overflows' and many
repeated frames due to this fact.

With FreeNet on my Risc PC as the receiving ftp client things work better
in both directions.

Is there any help or a sign of relief to come ?

Help please !

Regards,
Rainer
--