Subject: Re: 800 x 600 under X : how ?
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/19/1997 14:52:34
On Mar 19, 12:14am, Marco Suzzi wrote:
> Subject: 800 x 600 under X : how ?
> Hi,
> I've succesfully installed RiscBSD & Xwindow on my RiscPC 700
> + SA + 2Mb VRAM + Standard SVGA monitor 14".
>
> My monitor can display 800x600 24bpp under RISC OS.
> I boot BSD with text screen mode 'X640 Y480 C256 F60',
> but I'd like X with higher resolution (800x600).
>
> How can I do it?

There are two ways. One is to boot in 800x600 mode. The other (buggy) way is to
use the setdisplay command (usr/local/sbin/setdisplay IIRC) in conjunction with
a monitor definition file (run setdisplay with no parameters to find out the
options). The device you need to use is /dev/vidcvideo0. Note that this can
occasionally do horrible things due to triggering console bugs.

Notes to reduce triggering of console bugs with changing resolution of X:

1) Use startx, not xdm to start X (make sure X is suid root - I believe rcm can
set this up for you).

2) Don't use virtual consoles (ALT + F<n>)

3) NEVER run setdisplay when X is running. Kill X first. If you get an error
message about /dev/vidcvideo0 already open then its time to reboot.

4) Only use 8bpp or 16bpp modes. Even within this restriction lots of
combinations of resolutions and bpp don't sync correctly.

5) Pray (to whatever deity/pantheon/cartoon character you believe might help).

Cheers

Rob