Subject: Re: Networking questions?
To: Dave J Thorn <dave@axa.co.uk>
From: Mike Clark <mrc7@cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/12/1997 14:46:30
On Mon 10 Mar, Dave J Thorn wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Robert Black wrote:
>
> > On Mar 10,  3:20pm, Mike Clark wrote:
> > > Subject: Networking questions?
>
> [ Snipped ]
>

> > IIRC there is a wee bug in the I-cubed driver which means on some machines you
> > have to configure the device under RiscOS before booting RiscBSD to get it to
> > work. Check whether the card is getting probed (look in the boot messages for a
> > line refering to your ethernet card).
> >
> Ummm, with mine (EtherH cad, bought around January) I can only use
> Kernels up to and including 4740 in this way. If I just do an ehtest or
> whatever under RiscOS first it will work 99.9 % of the time, apart from
> all sorts of messages eg eh: no carrier , ehstart : failed to load packet
> etc etc etc. If I don't use the card under RiscOS it almost always fails
> to work.
>
> All later kernels find the card but claim that podule8: not configured
> (as the unsupported HiVision card does).
>
> Any ideas anyone when any newer kernels may appear ?

Thanks to those who answered my original question. In case anyone is having
similar problems I found that the latest kernel dated 11th March 1997 from
the autobuild directory sorted out the etherh problem. It correctly identified
the etherh card and allowed me to configure networking. I can now ftp from
my A3000 onto the RiscBSD partition OK.

Mike Clark, mrc7@cam.ac.uk          http://www.path.cam.ac.uk/~mrc7/
--
  o/ \\    //            ||  ,_ o   Dr. M.R. Clark, Division of Immunology
 <\__,\\  //   __o       || /  /\,  Cambridge University, Dept. Pathology