Subject: Re: Networking questions?
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Robert Black <r.black@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/10/1997 15:51:55
On Mar 10,  3:20pm, Mike Clark wrote:
> Subject: Networking questions?
> I have just installed RiscBSD release 1.2 and the base and other "required"
> sets on my machine a RiscPC SA110 24MB RAM 2MB VRAM (kernel sa110-4958).
>
> As I have my RiscPC connected by an ethernet to an A3000 it strikes me that
> if I can get ftp working properly I can load all subsequent software
> distributions over the LAN from the hard disk on my A3000. However my first
> attempts at setting up the networking under RiscBSD haven't been successful
> and I get the error no interface available do I want to configure SLIP? If
> I try and ping the interface from the A3000 it does not respond.

SLIP is for serial communications. Only use it if you can't get the ethernet
working.

> Can someone please answer the following questions?
>
> I have an i-cubed interface. Do I need to have any of the drivers and
> networking software loaded under RiscOS before I enter RiscBSD or should
> I have networking configured off under RiscOS?
> At present I have networking started at RiscOS boot and I am using the
> softloaded i-cubed drivers and ehvirtual configured on.

IIRC there is a wee bug in the I-cubed driver which means on some machines you
have to configure the device under RiscOS before booting RiscBSD to get it to
work. Check whether the card is getting probed (look in the boot messages for a
line refering to your ethernet card).

> As I only have two machines on my LAN I don't need to configure
> resolving and I assume that I just need a hosts file containing
> the names and addresses of my two machines to enable them to talk.

Correct (ish)

Rob