Subject: Re: Once again: 16bpp setting for X
To: Peter Teichmann <teich-p@Rcs1.urz.tu-dresden.de>
From: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/04/1997 17:47:04
On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Peter Teichmann wrote:

> Some months ago I already described my problem, that I am not able to run X
> with 32000 colours, and got the answer, that 32000 colours only work with
> 1024x768 pixels, and that it wont work with other resolutions due to a bug.
> But now I found that Peter Berg is able to run X with 32000 colours and
> without problems, and asked him how he does this. But he did nothing
> special, only the same as I. And the only significant difference between our
> computers is, that I have 1MB VRam, and he 2.

  I don't think RiscBSD checks that the mode you've defined fits into the
VIDCs pixel rate and data transfer rates.

  I have a 1152x900 mode, and when I tried it in 16bpp it just produced
rubish on screen, however when I loaded it into makemodes, and tried to
set it to 16bpp it refused, giving a data rate of about 220MB/s.  I had
to take the refresh rate down to about 55Hz (far too slow) to get the
data rate slow enough.  When I tried this new mode, it worked.

  Have you tried checking your mode as 16bpp in makemodes?
(I have 2MB VRAM)

Ale.