Subject: Re: Floppy problems
To: Peter Teichmann <sol@Space.WH1.TU-Dresden.De>
From: Ale Terlevich <A.I.Terlevich@durham.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/26/1997 10:36:30
On 26 xxx -1, Peter Teichmann wrote:

> when reading from floppys under RiscBSD I always get errors like this:
>
> Feb 25 22:49:54 Aldebaran /netbsd: fd0a: hard error reading fsbn 63 (st0
> 44<abnrml,top_head> st1 10<data_overrun> st2 0 cyl 1 head 1 sec 10)

  I think this is due to RiscBSD not processing interrupts from the
floppy drive quickly enough when the CPU is loaded (loading seems to
include moving the mouse under X!)  This appears to be significantly
worse on SA systems due to the non optimised cache flushing.

  The solution is to make sure you don't touch your machine while
reading/writing to the floppy.

Ale.