Subject: Re: PowerROMs
To: Stephen Jones <stevej@dcs.warwick.ac.uk>
From: Mark Brinicombe <amb@physig.ph.kcl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/25/1997 20:34:54
On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Stephen Jones wrote:

> Hi
>
> Upon booting RiscBSD, my machine hangs due to having a PowerROM
> installed in an Oak card (it used to boot with the original).
> Is (or will) there be a workaround for this?

As yet no fix. In my book this is a problem of the powerrom ;-)

With a powerrom fitted in a SCSI card the identification of the SCSI card
is changes and all cards with the powerrom identify themselves as an
alsystems SCSI cards.
This means the kernel cannot determinewhat card is actually fitted and
thus the kernel will try and use the ptsc driver (thinking the card is a
powertec SCSI2)

So it means that Acorns podule identification system system has been
broken and thus special hacks are going to be needed in to work out really
what card is present.

Note: the expansion card specs say every expansion card type *MUST* have a
unique number allocated to it.

Until I have more information on the powerrom I will not be looking at
this problem.

Cheers,
				Mark