Subject: Re: Installing
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cus.cam.ac.uk>
From: Wolflord <nnzrik@unix.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/21/1997 16:23:48
On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, Patrick Welche wrote:

> > How do I start XWindows ?
>
> Either as root "xdm" or "startx"
Can anyone say what the differences are between startx and xinit?

Is xdm like an x based login, I've never used it.

> > How do I add new users ?
>
> cf man vipw
> man 4 passwd
> (actually, I am not sure of the section number, but you want the
> passwd that corresponds to the password file format, not the command
> passwd which allows you to change a password)
>
> I have never tried rcm, so maybe someone can say how it is done with that.

Changing the password file directly for someone who hasn't added a user
before would be a bit tricky I thought. Especially having to use vi for
the first time. Once you've played with vi for a bit, and know what the
fields in the password file are for, then great.

I personally find rcm (remote configuration manager - i think) handy for
adding new users - well general configuration settings.

If I remember correctly, it is found in /usr/local/sbin and just provides
an interface to other config programs, like adduser, inst, netconfig.

For someone who is just starting out, wants a menu interface to
configuring their system, this is probably the best way.

Jumping in at the deep end, using vi and altering the passwd/master.passwd
file directly is a bit hazzardous for someone starting out.

Especially if you happen to use vi with CAPS set, tapping 'J' does wonders
for formatting text in vi, but not especially useful for passwords ;-)

I had to use vi because I didn't have enough memory to run X, and didn't
have any other editors.

I use it all the time now, think its great infact, just not the easiest
program to start with ;-)

> I don't know about the keyboard mappings.
Me neither..

> Patrick

Cheerio..
	Rich