Subject: Re: Installing
To: None <KLE@SWE.GPPM.DE>
From: Wolflord <nnzrik@unix.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/21/1997 13:50:34
On Fri, 21 Feb 1997 KLE@SWE.GPPM.DE wrote:

> Hi there,
Ello.

> thanks to all for the advices.
> The problems are solved :-)
>
> Now I have all sets installed and
> very lucky about this, but there
> are some little problems.
>
> My RPC has a german keyboard layout.
> How can I configure RiscBSD for this ?
Sorry, I'll leave someone else to answer that.

> How do I start XWindows ?
xinit
this will start up Xarm(27), then fvwm &, this will start the window
manager.

To save doing this everytime, create a file called '.xinitrc' in your home
directory. This is the users config/setup file for X. Add something along
the lines of:

# .xinitrc - XWindows startup scripts
xterm -g 80x24+0+0 &
fvwm

This gives you a simple xterm in the upper left corner of the screen and
starts up fvwm.
When fvwm is killed, the window manager will shutdown (usually the
preferred option).

> How do I add new users ?
I use 'rcm' as root. Option 1 lets you create new users.
Alternatively, the command 'adduser' also does this IIRC.

vipw manipulates the password file, but try rcm first.

> Don't blame me, I am a novice in Unix administration :-)
Have to start somewhere ;-)

> Regards
> Wolfgang
>
> kle@gppm.de