Subject: Re: Anyone tried to port java to RiscBSD?
To: Peter Naulls <pnaulls@wave.co.nz>
From: Ben Strawson <B.Strawson@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/19/1997 20:54:07
On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, Peter Naulls wrote:

> On Wed 19 Feb, Marc Theisen wrote:
> > Has anyone tried to port the JDK to RiscBSD.
> > Is it possible to "simply" compile the sources?
>
> Yes. it's being done (not by me though - I'm doing the RO one :)
>
> It's not possible to simply compile it - partly because of the mutlithreading
> and partly because of the not insignificant differences between RiscBSD
> and SunOS.

Now that pthreads is available for RiscBSD, I would have though it is now
much easier, though still not trivial.

I am looking at kaffe, but my time this week is being taken up with other
work so have not got far.  If anything was done on kaffe, it would be a
while before JIT compilation was available, though actually implementing
the JIT side doesn't look too difficult to me (after quickly glancing
through the code - I could be horribly wrong!).

The worst crime is that as far as I can see, to get the VM spec., you need
to shell out 30-40 quid for the book :-(.  It is available on the web in
one place (after an altavista search), but I would guess it is getting out
of date.

kaffe is at:   http://www.tjwassoc.demon.co.uk/kaffe/kaffe.htm

Ben Strawson                                            b.strawson@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Department of Computer Science