Subject: Re: Some more newbie questions
To: Steve Hennigan <Stephen@hennign.demon.co.uk>
From: Jasper Wallace <jasper@ivision.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/19/1997 12:27:58
On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Steve Hennigan wrote:

> I have been trying to install RiscBSD for a few days now and have come up
> against a 'bit of a wall'.
> I have got as far as step 31 of Marks RiscBSD Installation script v1.2.
> I have loaded the base,text,etc,misc,config,tcsh,bash,local and man
> distribution sets from the Risc Disc 3 CD to floppy and then into the
> RiscBSD partition via RiscBSD itself. I dont seem to be able to get any
> further and I have the following questions.

what do you mean 'don't seem to be able to get any further'? can you use the
inst program to extract the sets? Can you boot from the harddisc without a
root floppy?

> 1. I have one of the CTA Direct 4x4 CD jukeboxes on my RPC600. Will the
> intended ATAPI device drivers support this type of CD Drive?

I've got one too, IIRC it's recognised at boot as being an atapi cd, but
I've never used it (I compile my own kernels and the atapi stuff dosn't work
with the current kernel source)

> 2.If not, how do I go about getting the unixfs filing system working?
> I have tried the standard configuration and also spent some time working
> on the advice posted by Mr Thomassen the other night to no avail. The best
> I can get out of this is the message:
>
> 8
> Bad Disklabel
>
> If I could only get this bit working, I could transfer the sets much more
> easily than via floppy (yawn).

Does RiscBSD produce any error messages when it mounts the disc? Is the
Risc OS partition bigger then 512Mb? do you have the new FileCore?

If you can get your maching on a network in any way it's a lot eaiser to ftp
the sets accross...

> 3.I keep hearing about the beta versions of kernels supporting ATAPI discs
> but cannot seem to positively identify any of them. Some of the VOYAGER
> kernels seem to report an ATAPI bus during booting but the advice in FAQ
> on how to configure the drive does not seem to work. (incidentally the latest
> VOYAGER kernel doesn't seem to report the ATAPI bus anymore).

For a while Mark was using a slightly out-of date kernel source tree to
develop against. Since he's developing the atapi stuff it worked at the
time. Now that he's switched to the latest version of the kernel source tree
the atapi stuff dosn't work. He just needs to find time in his already
overstreched life to make the atapui stuff work again. So very old kernels
did not support atapi, not so old ones did, and very recent ones don't.

> As you have probably gathered, I am a complete novice at this unix lark.
> We got sent on a 4 day course late last year and I am trying to find out
> more about it as I may have to 'operate' it this year for real. I'm an
> MVS operator by trade.

There was a book list posted somewhere ;-)

--
Jasper Wallace-Internet Vision | Caving-Acorn-RiscBSD-Chocolate-Banks-Fish
My opinions != IVisions's      | PovRay-FVWM-Perl-C-Mono-Food-Wired-?