Subject: Re: YASU (Yet Another Stupid User)
To: Chris Gilbert <cg110@york.ac.uk>
From: Jasper Wallace <jasper@ivision.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/19/1997 12:55:38
On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Chris Gilbert wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Robert Malcolm Speed wrote:
[snip]
> > I set the mount point to be /usr/mnt
> > (Jasper corrected me once, but again, I've deleted the mail and forgotten
> > where to actually set the mount point to - I remember it didn't work
> > though.)
>
> Should be /usr or /var, you probably want it as /usr

This may be a moment of confusion... When you partition the disc you tell
the installition script where the drives will go when the installation is
finished, in this case the main partition (since you have only one) will go
on /usr. However for the installation of the very basic stuff from the
ramdisc/rootfloppy you need to say where the partitions you have created
will be mounted onto the ramdisc. In which case the root partition that you
have just created goes onto /mnt and the usr partition on /usr/mnt

R. Set root directory for install

> > It then goes away creating super-blocks and so forth, but I get
> > ffs:/dev/wd0a on /mnt : operation not supported by device
>
> This is related to the wrong mounting place, it mounts the /usr partition
> on /mnt and then copies thing onto it.

It definatly needs to copy stuff onto the root partition too, like 'inst'
and other important programs ;-) It sounds as if for some reason your root
partition is being formatted incorrectly and them Risc BSD can't mount it on
/mnt on the ramdisc. Have you run bb_riscbsd on it (silly question, you must
of done beacause unixfs works).

> > this then changes after a screenfull to be text that has previously
> > scrolled up off the screen.....
> > Odd !!!
> >
> > If I try kernel 4554 I get initial text (about 10 lines) then the screen
> > goes blank, the HD light stays on and I have to reboot (reset switch).
>
> This is because you're trying the native boot (I think)

if you get the first ten lines or so then it found a kernel and is using it
to boot - what are the last two lines or so?

> > I've been through the FAQ and the installation guide a few times, quite a
> > few people have helped me in the past, but it just does not seem to do any
> > good.
> >
> > On another note, if this helps, I can't copy anything via unixfs (get
> > permission denied errors)
>
> copy things into /usr/tmp, or set the permissions on the dir you're
> copying to to world writeable (chmod a+w unixfs)

chmod a+w <dir name>. But if you can't mount the partitions under RiscBSD
you can't chmod things on them ;-)

--
Jasper Wallace-Internet Vision | Caving-Acorn-RiscBSD-Chocolate-Banks-Fish
My opinions != IVisions's      | PovRay-FVWM-Perl-C-Mono-Food-Wired-?