Subject: Re: Garbled characters in 800x600 and above
To: (Peter Teichmann) <sol@Space.WH1.TU-Dresden.De>
From: Olly Betts <olly@muscat.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/18/1997 20:30:45
Peter Teichmann wrote:
>Olly Betts wrote:
>> I had a go at installing "1.2-release" at the weekend.  All went fairly well,
>> but there were a few low points:
><SNIP...>
>>
>> * I can't boot into 800x600 (which my monitor can certainly cope with) or
>>   1024x768 (which I think works).  640x480 works OK.  What I get it the
>>   higher resolution modes is the character set wrapped round about half a
>>   character + random coloured garbage at the bottom of the screen.  I
>>   managed to set up my partitions like this (before discovering 640x480
>>   worked) so it looks like just the display is corrupted.
><SNIP...>
>
>Of course you can boot in 800*600. Don't worry about the last 8 wrong pixels.
>This is because the characters are 16 pixels high, but 600/16 is 37.5
>So the last 8 pixels are not used. [snip]

A good point, but I still can't usefully boot into 800x600 because each
individual character appears to have been "ROR #4"ed (if you think of them as
bit images).  This makes it damn near impossible to read (I partitioned my disk
with the display like this, but only managed it thanks to the very explicit
readme file I'd printed out).

I also get the same with X: 640x480 works fine, but 800x600 gives the impression
that each character cell has been rotated.  What gives?  Do I have a mutant
VIDC20?  RPC 600, Eizo 9060 monitor.  I even tried putting the Eizo monitor def
in /etc/monitor.conf but no change.  I can cope with a 640x480 console (just
about) but X is a joke at that resolution.

Any cunning ideas?

Cheers,
Olly