Subject: PATH (resending)
To: None <port-arm32@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jochen Scharrlach <jscharrl@BA-Stuttgart.De>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/18/1997 09:17:55
Hi,

somehow the following mail didn't reach the mailing list...

From: DATASCI/EXCH01/POSTMASTER <IMCEAMS-DATASCI_EXCH01_POSTMASTER@datasci.co.uk>
To: Jochen Scharrlach <jscharrl@BA-Stuttgart.De>
Subject: Mail failure
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 19:22:00 -0000

...oh yeah, no surprise ;)

> I see your point: the balance between having all of TeX in
> /usr/local/teTeX, but needing whoever installs it to edit
> /etc/csh.login or whatever, and having a friendly set that just
> installs and works. Hmm tricky one with no correct answer...

A clean solution implements HP-UX 10: it has two files called
/etc/PATH and /etc/MANPATH which contain a colon-separated list of
paths to binaries/manpages of the installed packages (which reside
usually beneath /opt, BTW). These files are read by /etc/csh.login and
/etc/profile and every new package that wants to add entrys to $PATH,
just modifies those files.

Just a thought,
Jochen

 --