Subject: Re: More Window managers, and other stuff.
To: Adrian Gilby <a.gilby@ic.ac.uk>
From: Jasper Wallace <jasper@ivision.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/17/1997 18:17:22
On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, Adrian Gilby wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Well, I've finally managed to install RiscBSD and X. I've noticed that
> the fvwm installation expects to find X installed in /usr, whereas the X
> installation puts itself in /usr/X11R6.1. Is this a mistake in one of the
> installation routines, or is it just that everyone's expected to edit the
> fvwm config files?

the fvwm config files are as supplied with fvwm, hence they need editing
(there may be a clause in the fvwm licence stuff that you can't distribute
modified versions of the origonal distribution <shrugs>. If you wan't a nice
ish (IMHO) .fvwmrc look on
http://quatermass.ivision.co.uk/RiscBSD/dot.fvwmrc.txt)

> Furthermore, can someone tell me how to quit X Windows if you ever get
> left with a blank screen and no xterms, and no way to bring any up (ie
> the mouse no longer brings up menus on the backdrop)?

switch to another virtual terminal with <ALT>-<F?> (e.g. <ALT>-<F1>) or
<print screen> inturrupts the X server.

> On another note, are there any better window managers around? Something
> like the one we use on the SGs in college would be nice... And I can't
> help remembering that I saw a screenshot of RiscBSD running Xpilot... Is
> it actually available?

http://www.PLiG.org/xwinman/ - has a resonable list, I've compiled up fvwm2
and wm2 but havn't had time to write a decent .fvwm2rc and I've played with
the wm2 code a bit so It'll be a wil before a set appears.

--
Jasper Wallace-Internet Vision | Caving-Acorn-RiscBSD-Chocolate-Banks-Fish
My opinions != IVisions's      | PovRay-FVWM-Perl-C-Mono-Food-Wired-?