Subject: PATH (was Re: Latex.)
To: None <prlw1@cus.cam.ac.uk>
From: Jochen Scharrlach <jscharrl@BA-Stuttgart.De>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/17/1997 12:33:00
Hi,

> I see your point: the balance between having all of TeX in
> /usr/local/teTeX, but needing whoever installs it to edit
> /etc/csh.login or whatever, and having a friendly set that just
> installs and works. Hmm tricky one with no correct answer...

A clean solution implements HP-UX 10: it has two files called
/etc/PATH and /etc/MANPATH which contain a colon-separated list of
paths to binaries/manpages of the installed packages (which reside
usually beneath /opt, BTW). These files are read by /etc/csh.login and
/etc/profile and every new package that wants to add entrys to $PATH,
just modifies those files.

Just a thought,
Jochen

--